Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pumpkin Seed Bread

Just out of the oven



So, I live in Austria, right?  That means there are a lot of pumpkin seeds in my diet.  I put them in my granola.  I sprinkle them on salad.  And I put them in bread, of course!  So, when I went to create a new wholesome bread recipe, there was no doubt what would make this bread stand out.  Pumpkin seeds!

Austrian pumpkin seeds


This recipe has a nutty and crunchy crust, while the dough or "crumb" is chewy and slightly sweet.  It stays nice and firm after cooling, making it a wonderful sandwich bread.

The perfect crumb for a sandwich


Here are the ingredients:

1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp pumpkin seed oil (you can substitute any aromatic seed oil here)
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cup bread flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp chopped toasted pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp dry active yeast

For crust:
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds

Preparation:

Using your electric mixer with a paddle attachment or your bread machine, combine the ingredients – keeping in mind your machine’s instructions.

When kneading is done, let the dough rise for about 45 min. or until it has doubled in size.  (If you prefer hand kneading, see my note on hand kneading in my Best Ever Polenta Pumpkin Seed Bread Recipe.)

Once the dough has doubled, pour it out into a floured surface, give it a good kneading - a couple minutes - and then place it greased bowl.  Leave it to rise once more.

Now preheat your oven to 200 C (or approximately 390 F).

Once the dough has doubled again, pour it out onto the pumpkin seeds.  Gently roll it over the mixture.  The seeds stick to the dough and create a lovely pattern.

Dough rolled in pumpkin seeds


Place the dough on to a baking sheet, and cover with a damp towel.  Let it rise another 15 to 20 minutes.

Once the dough has risen about 50 percent more, place it in the oven.  Baking time will be between 30 and 35 minutes.

Ready for the oven

The bread is ready when it turns a lovely dark brown and the seeds are nicely toasted.

All done!


I hope you are enjoying the autumn season.  Bake on!

1 comment:

  1. I found your recipe/blog @ Petite Hermine. I was fortunate to visit Austria (stay in Bregenz) in July, 2000 for an Environmental Education class via one of the Universities here in Kentucky (USA). During the 2 weeks we were exposed to the extensive way Austria takes care of their environment. The country was breathtakingly beautiful. One weekend we did visit Vienna and its countryside. Your blog is so refreshing. I love the recipes, and especially like the views and words you have about parts of Austria. SO, I HAD to join because I enJOYed your site so much. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!