Friday, June 22, 2012

A secret in my neighborhood




On my birthday I learned a secret.  I discovered a hidden treasure.  It wasn’t tucked away in remote courtyard in an ancient quarter of the city.  It was in the very neighborhood I live, along a path I walk daily.

Freyenstein Gourmet Gasthaus

At Freyenstein we experienced a culinary spree, a trip to new tastes and textures.  We had at least 12 dishes in all, from caviar with lime cream to baby squash in a bed of couscous.  Each dish arrived accompanied by a fresh and surprising herb complement.



The staff was welcoming and friendly, and more than willing to try to translate – from German into English – each complex dish as it arrived to our table.  We left sated but not overly so.  This was, hands down, the best meal out I have had in my three years in Vienna.



If you decide to go, be sure to make reservations ahead of time.  It was a week night, and every table was full.  


1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! Gorgeous photos of the food, especially. I love food and finding a new, wonderful spot is so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!