Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fabric Christmas Tree Card Tutorial

Fabric tree cards


Ever wonder what to do with all those little scraps of fabric left over from a project?  Christmas cards!  This struck me as I was looking down at a pile of little triangle-shaped scraps left over from one of my basket projects.  The tiny shapes seemed to be calling me.  Make me into something!

A stylized tree


The little triangles reminded me of the "stylized" trees we used to draw as kids.  So, I gathered them together, along with some fabric glue and blank cards, and I started to play.

Each is unique!


What a fun project for kids too!

Want to try it?  Here's all you need:

  • Fabric pieces in a variety of patterns and colors
  • A fabric glue stick
  • Blank cards with matching envelopes
  • Stamps for a message (optional)

Tools and materials


The process is easy!

  • Snip your fabric into triangle shapes.  
  • Take a triangle and rub a bit of glue on it.  
  • Place it at the top of your card.  
  • Now take the next triangle, add glue, and place it just below and to the left of the first triangle, overlapping a bit.
  • Continue building downward and outward, and before you know it, you have a tree!
  • If you want your tree to have a trunk, just snip a little rectangle and glue it to the base.


You can go with traditional colors or mix it up with fun unorthodox combinations


You can build one big tree, or several small ones.  Soon you will have a set of a lovely handmade cards to send for the holidays!

Make a set!


You might enjoy some of my other tutorials...

Got a few minutes?  Come by to see what's new in my shop...

Happy crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!