Monday, November 4, 2013

Whole Wheat Cornmeal Pizza Dough - Bread Machine Style

Whole wheat and cornmeal crust pizza


I make pizza. ALOT. It's a great way to use whatever is in your fridge. Got some eggplant that's looking a little sad? Some salami that's getting close to it's use-by date? Make a pizza!

My favorite style of dough has whole wheat and cornmeal. It's nutty and bready, almost like focaccia.

This recipe makes one round deep dish pizza or one large 12 x 19 rectangular pizza. (Since my deep dish pan is still in transit from Vienna, I'm using my daughter's large rectangular "college" pan. Thank goodness she is living with us right now!)


Coarsely ground cornmeal
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal or polenta (I like a coarse grind, which gives the crust a nice crunch)
1 teaspoon salt
1 packet (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast

Preparation:

Set your bread machine to its dough cycle, combine the ingredients – keeping in mind your machine’s instructions.

When the dough cycle is complete, pour the dough out onto a floured work area. (I just use my counter top.) Turn the dough a few times, and shape into a ball. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rest for about 20 minutes.

While you are waiting for your dough to rest, prepare the pizza pan by greasing the surface with olive oil and sprinkling it with about one tablespoon of cornmeal. This will make it easier to serve the pizza once it is done.

You can also start to gather your toppings. Today I am using a basil pesto base, topped with salami, roasted eggplant, marinated artichokes, caramelized onions, and two kinds of cheese - monterey jack and string cheese. (I love the patterns of the strings atop the pizza. :)

When the dough is ready, roll it out. Since I am using a rectangular pan, I shaped my dough into a log before rolling.

Put on your toppings and bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then lower the temp to 375, and bake another 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Check out my other bread recipes here.

Buon appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!